Monday, January 4, 2010

Random Tips

(For a little New Year inspiration - or so I'd like to think - please check out my posting from 2 days ago called "New Year's Resolutions)

Ok, so... for those of you who missed my random coronary artery disease posting some time ago, you also missed me saying that I'd be using this blog to share all kinds of information - mostly dating & relationship stuff, but your random health or life-in-general stuff as well every now & then.  Seriously, these are really random all-over-the-place tips, but they are things I learned this last year (& maybe a few I've learned before but have been really effective):

  • Read the fine print on your gift cards (& Groupon coupons!) & try to use them as soon as possible.  Tons of businesses are closing & if they do, they've got your or the gifter's money for good with no recourse for you on getting your goodies, services, etc.  Also, quite a few company's deduct a monthly service fee after a certain # of months which is quite rude, but hey, it's in the fine print.  I'm the queen of having gift cards, not carrying them with me & then thinking "D'oh!" as I'm checking out at a store.  Note to SmileMoon:  stop doing that!
  • Always be looking for jobs, maintain your personal/professional network & be ready to leave with a quickness.  I have to say that I did not have an inkling of a clue that I was going to get laid off.  I definitely got comfortable in my role & thought I'd become a bit indispensible; yep, someone had lied to me & sadly it was me!  As for being ready to leave, often when you're laid off (although this wasn't the case with me thankfully), you are asked to turn in your computer right then & there (so it's advisable you don't do, save or download anything personal on your work computers), & then you're left without any positive e-mails, things you might have created, contacts, etc.  
  • Never keep anything of value in your car - not even for a minute... & definitely not for two.  In November of 2007, I was on my way to the airport to go home for Thanksgiving.  I had put my computer & personal bags underneath the glove compartment of the front seat of my car & then drove to the post office for a quick stop.  I grabbed the item I needed to mail & since I always literally run my errands, I sprinted in, dropped off the letter & ran right back out.  In that short time (a whole 2 minutes in broad daylight & without seeing me ever bring anything to my car), my window had been smashed (whatever they used to smash it must've been part of those emergency car kits b/c there was nothing in my car) & my 2 bags gone.  The *bleeping* thieves got the motherload of all thefts (this is almost comical now, but not so much then):  Coach purse, Movado watch, digital camera, iPod, gift cards, check book, license, cell phone, computer, all my notes from my new job, jump drive, a ring I'd been wearing since I was 13 (that made it the ultimate tragedy) & my electric toothbrush!  & no, I was not brand-dropping with the Coach & Movado; they were 2 things that I'd pined & saved for a looong time & they were pretty much my only two big brand items at that time, so my point was to demonstrate that those jerks made out like bandits!  On that note, make sure you do the following:
    • Get Renter's Insurance.  Your car insurance does not cover property in your car; however, Renter's Insurance which costs a whopping $100-200 a year, does.  It also (& I know this a no-brainer) covers all the stuff you have in your apartment/home if the apartment above your's has a flood, or there's a fire, someone breaks in, etc.  Renter's insurance = Smart move. 
    • Keep copies of your license, passport, credit cards (front & back), insurance card, & anything else of equal value in a safe place & have all your phone #s/account info for things like your checking account, etc. easily accessible (possibly in an e-mail or a jump drive).  It's no fun trying to cancel credit cards & get things re-issued when you have no phone #s or back-up of anything.
    • Keep receipts for all big purchase items incase they ever get nabbed b/c having them will help big time with getting compensated through renter's insurance.  Actually, keep receipts of everything during the return window, because stuff stops working, people lose jobs (I thankfully had my receipts for all the stuff I bought over Thanksgiving & have been making returns on anything I hadn't used/worn) & you might just decide you no longer like/need/want whatever you purchased.  
    • Even if it costs you something, have your cell phone contact list downloaded/backed-up.  Getting #s again or never being able to get some numbers ever again, is a royal pain.
      • **Side note** I have also had my car stolen (the 1st time I ever drove to DC & I know you all are thinking "woah there SmileMoon w/ the crap luck! :-P), so it is also very wise to have your license plate & VIN # jotted down in a safe place.
  • ACT mouthwash (or any kind of strengthening flouride mouthwash) is much better than the awaken-your-senses exhilarating rush of Listerine.  This was something I learned this year from my dentist after in spite of my brush twice a day, floss & drink-through-straws efforts, I still got cavities.  Ughhh.
  • Google online coupon codes for vendors before you check-out.  Just recently, I made a large purchase on Snapfish for calendars I was making as gifts for my family.  I decided to search "Snapfish coupons" online & found one for 30% off my order.  Ooh, also, I had made a purchase on another website & had received 10% off & went back to make another purchase only to see that there was now a 20% off coupon.  I called the company & I got the difference back for the first purchase.  For those of you who know me, I am not cheap; I just love getting a deal & not saving that 30% & not getting that difference back (when I could & the effort in doing so took less than a minute) would have been just silly.
Okie dokie (yeah, I said that. what...?), that's all from me & my randomness today.  I hope one or some of those tips helps someone now or in the future.

I hope everyone's 2010 kicked off to a good start & write soon ~ SmileMoon :)

p.s. - 2010 will be the year of quotes on the blog...

In about the same degree that you are helpful, you will be happy.  - Karl Reiland

It's easy to make a buck.  It's a lot harder to make a difference. - Tom Brokaw

3 comments:

  1. Nice to find your lovely blog! I see we have a common interest in Chicago and food, so thought I'd just say hi :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only rarely do googled coupons work (in my experience); but heck, I always try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hetal, thanks for writing. I think a lot of it is summed up in a big YES to your 2nd question. I think that the majority of guys are seriously looking (at least the ones that I know who are 30+ all tell me they are); however, in spite of that it's a really big bold move - that I personally think makes them far more accountable - to put themselves out there in something like Vijay Uncle's album.

    It's funny b/c @ NetIP Toronto, Vijay Uncle called all 900 of us out on not being there to "network" (except for maybe the less than 1% of people who may have been in a relationship) & that the vast majority of us were all there to make a connection w/ someone b/c we are all looking to find out one. Out of 900 people, 24 women & 12 men have had the courage to say that hey "I REALLY AM Seriously Looking."

    Also, I do think that more than the girls, the guys are considering far more options including non-Indian women & the not-so-uncommon prospective of seeking out a from-India bride in the far off future, whereas their same-age desi female counterparts are still sticking to Desi-only & although some will say otherwise, seeking out a spouse from the motherland is not a real option.

    Thanks for your comment! ~ SmileMoon

    ReplyDelete