Sunday, October 11, 2009

Higher Learning...?

Hey everyone, this will be a rare brief (for me) post!  I wanted to see how guys & girls felt about how important or whether it is important at all that the person you date-to-marry has some kind of "higher" degree.  For me personally, it's just not something that I care about (I'd like the guy I'm with to be smart & ambitious but I far from want someone who is the brainiac intellectual type); however, my mom has been very insistent for the past seeeeveral years telling me that "Indian ladke MBA ko chaathe hai" (Desi guys want girls w/ secondary degrees) as she lists off my sister-in-law, my best friend & multiple other examples... as she then continues to tell me all the other reasons why I'm wonderful & would be with a guy "if only..."  Please know that my mom is incredibly sweet & good-hearted, but at the end of the day, she's also an Indian Mom!

Anywho, I'm just curious for the guys & girls out there, how important is it to you that your boo-boo-2-be have a masters, doctorate or something along those lines...?  & this is for the guys, how important is it to you that your wifey-to-be be career-minded?

K, Happy Sunday & write soon!

~ SmileMoon :)

6 comments:

  1. I think it's more of what they are doing with their life than how many degrees they have or in what.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer a woman with higher learning if only because it is a sign that she has gone through many of the same experiences as I have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely look for someone who understands themselves as well as others. To me that means much more than any sort of higher education.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just want to say thank you to all the guys for posting. I've gotten a lot of positive feedback from girlfriends of mine saying that it's nice to know that there are guys out there thinking about this stuff & with such thoughtfulness. Personally-speaking, this is becoming more of a discussion versus the SmileMoon-show, & I so appreciate that :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. higher learning is great in my opinion. I think it shows that you are interested in furthering your knowledge in a particular area. Guys will admit that they like a girl with an advanced degree but what is thier response to a girl that shows she is extremely intelligent (in her field or any particular topic, like sports) in their initial meetings? I am thinking guys are scared by a girl who puts herself out there like that...well at least early on...makes the guys feel inferior or something. What do you think Ms. SmileMoon and all boys that are reading her posts?

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's really about chemistry. one can have Phd and still not be "smart". I like one who has a good combo of street and books smarts. Book smarts doesn't mean degrees though.

    regarding Interested observer's comment, I'd probably be more attracted to someone who has gone through different things in life. Makes her more interesting and I learn from her experiences.

    ReplyDelete