Monday, November 8, 2010

The Ad is On and my first real in-India Update

I'll start with the ad, because I know that's what people really want to know about.  So... I didn't wait for the whopping 8 "YES" responses to my poll on whether to place a matrimonial ad, and decided what the heck, I'm here, let's do this.  I basically wrote my own ad (a difficult task considering the limited space - now I understand why people from India write like this:  "If u cud do dis 4 me dat wud be gr8"), my parents paid for it, and my cousin brother placed it for me.  It went out last Sunday in the Times of India in all the major metro cities, and I'm not going to lie... although it was more as an experiment than anything else and I really didn't think I would meet my jeevan saathi via this ad, I did not expect the sa-aaaaad response.

In the week since the ad has been out, I've gotten only about 20 responses (apparently there isn't as much appeal to marry a US Citizen or at least not one in her 30's!) that cumulatively resulted in me feeling pity on my own fate, which was something I couldn't ever recall having felt before.  I've definitely been frustrated at the general dating situation and lack of/jacked up personal dating situations, but for the first time - after seeing a response from a described-by-his-parents "Middle Aged" prospect (a full-blown Uncle) and other men with Amrish Puri like-moustaches (see below) that were the complete opposite of what I'd ever be attracted to - I had a heavy feeling in my heart that loudly said "oh wow... are these 'stached Uncles my only option now...? Maybe I really am going to be single forever" which is bizarre because I know that the ad does not say or mean anything about the likelihood of me finding someone.
RIP Mr. Puri - lurved you as an actor but you & your 'stache were scurry!
I know, I know... I should be positive, it's far from too late, and it's more important to find the right person whenever that might be than just get married for the sake of it.  On top of all that, I have also always believed that finding your life partner is not the end-all-be-all in life, but gosh darn it, I never seriously considered the possibility of not finding that person!  At this point, I would violently shake anyone who told me that I haven't tried or am not trying, because I believe I've personally reached the ultimate in open-mindedness, putting myself "out there" and that whole bit, so I think I'm fully justified in having this "ugh" moment since every unnatural and awkward way has resulted in nada and the natural way of going out (& out and out) and meeting people has done the same. 


I know this whole post is very non-Smile Moon-ish, and if I'm bumming anyone out, I apologize.  Don't get me wrong, I am still incredibly hopeful for the whole lot of us still-singles, because I know countless stories of people who felt that they'd tried everything and then unexpectedly ended up meeting their right person.  Also, by no means am I saying that I'm throwing my hands up in the air and will no longer "try," but I'm just keeping it real and letting you know that for some reason, this whole ad experience royally bummed me out.  In spite of that, I'm not against ads (dating websites, seriously looking albums, speed dating, blind dates, dating coaches or anything else) for me or for everyone else and I will always encourage people to be proactive rather than passive in their approach - whether it be with dating or anything else.
 
So, this one post has taken me an eternity to write because of this god awful wireless internet connection I've gotten (I so miss real High Speed :-/), and I'm sure this is a long enough post as it is, so I'll give you an update on India later.  One thing I will say though before I go is that anyone who celebrates Diwali must celebrate it in at least once in the Motherland; I can guarantee that it will be one of the most fun and memorable experiences of your life. 
 
K, that's all from me!
 
Write soon ~ Smile Moon :)

5 comments:

  1. Hey there SM! Oh I remember the days when my parents placed ads in the papers. I just finished my undergrad degree and just started my masters (i was barely 22 at the time) and i remember all the 'tached uncles who would want to make contact. You have to laugh it off. You are a great gal and I know you will find the *right* guy when it is your time.

    Enjoy your time in the motherland...i am jealous :)

    ss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi SmileMoon,

    Sorry to hear you had a disappointing experience with the ad. I must say that it was very brave you to put yourself out there.

    You're definitely a smart and impressive girl and I'm sure you'll meet someone soon.

    Take care of yourself!

    Jas

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are gorgeous and intelligent, I am sure you will meet someone in person no matter where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember being 21 and getting responses from guys 10+ years older than me--I have no idea why guys (or their parents) think that is appropriate?
    I wonder what proportion of desi women in their 20's and 30's are ok with marrying someone more than a decade older than them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry for the delayed response; i was in vrindavan and rajasthan and then went to a relative's wedding.

    @ SS, Jas & Anon #1, thank you - your comments were a much-needed mood (ego) boost. @ Anon #2, i am completely with you on not understanding why guys or their parents think it's okay to pursue girls so much younger than them. i guess we can't blame them for trying their luck and casting their nets wide, but i imagine that - especially in online situations - guys who are so much older are getting a slim to none yes response.

    i personally think the big age gap or when a girl is older than the guy usually only end up happening when they start in a natural environment.

    ReplyDelete